Man feeding cows spots chimney fire

By Matt Swearengin Managing Editor mswearengin@civitasmedia.com

February 8, 2014

A Calera man spotted a fire in the chimney of of a Caney Creek Road home and alerted the person inside.

Brad Davis, who is town superintendent for the Town of Calera, had been feeding cows Friday afternoon when he later noticed a fire in the chimney of a wood stove at Jack and Diane Harper’s home on Caney Creek Road south of Highway 70E.

Davis said he then knocked on the doors to notify the occupant, Mrs. Harper, of the fire.

Mrs. Harper was unaware of the fire until Davis told her. Davis then grabbed a garden hose and sprayed water on the fire until Calera Fire-Rescue arrived.

According to Calera Fire Chief Brian Norton, there was a fire on the roof of the house when Calera Engine No. 4 arrived.

Firefighters investigated and discovered a fire in the attic where the chimney was located, according to Norton, who said firefighters entered the attic and put out the fire, containing it to the attic.

The Roberta Volunteer Fire Department responded with tanker trucks due to the home being in a rural area that did not have fire hydrants. Calera Fire-Rescue investigated the fire and also contacted to state Fire Marshal. The cause was an accidental chimney fire, according to Norton.

- Matt Swearengin can be reached at (580) 924-4388 ext. 117 or on Twitter @DDDEditor