Personal appearance is a strong form of non-verbal communication. The clothes you wear and the way you wear them form an impression … good or bad. The purpose of the impressive dress program is to help 4-H’ers learn lifelong skills to improve personal appearance. 4-Hers are encouraged to participate in the upcoming Bryan County 4-H Impressive Dress Contest on Thursday, April 13th, beginning at 6:00 p.m. located at the Clay Jones Community Center, Durant.
What will 4-H’ers learn? 4-H’ers will learn to: Select fashionable clothing suitable for specific occasions; select garments and accessories to enhance body type and personal coloring; build a wardrobe suited to individual lifestyle and needs; recognize and wear properly fitted clothes; learn to practice good grooming and good posture to enhance personal appearance; and develop self-confidence and poise.
What do 4-H’ers need to do?
· Each 4-H member will put together an outfit in one of the following categories: sports wear, casual wear, dress wear, or western wear. Preferably the garments are chosen from an existing wardrobe.
· 4-H members may enter more than one of the categories or all the five categories.
· Each 4-H member will fill out a speech outline. Members have the opportunity to justify why their selected outfit fits the chosen category, how it fits into their wardrobe and lifestyle, why they like the outfit, and to describe characteristics and care of the fabric.
· Each 4-H member will prepare a brief speech and orally present it to the judge(s). The speech should follow the impressive dress speech outline guidelines. Participants should be prepared to answer questions from the judge.
· The choice of classic styles rather than fads is encouraged.
· 4-H Impressive Dress guidelines and entry forms are available at the Bryan County OSU Extension Office and on the Bryan County 4-H Facebook.
· The entry deadline is Monday, April 10th by contacting the Bryan County OSU Extension Office at 924-5312.
Casual Wear: Garments to wear to school, fairs, rodeos, dates, movies, spectator sports, shopping.
Sports Wear: Garments to wear to play tennis, skiing, jogging, et cetera.
Dress Wear: Garments to wear to parties, church, special events, or interviews.
Formal Wear: Garments to wear to formal events such as weddings or evening party.
Western Wear: Garments to wear at rodeos, livestock shows, play days, and other western events.
For more information, on the 4-H Impressive Dress Contest, contact Tommie M. James, FCS & 4-H Extension Educator at 924-5312. For more information about other upcoming 4-H events check out the Bryan County 4-H Facebook page. The Oklahoma Cooperative Extension Service offers its programs to all eligible persons regardless of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, disability, or status as a veteran, and is equal opportunity employer.
Submitted by Tommie M. James, Family & Consumer Science Extension Educator.