Last updated: April 26. 2014 3:48PM - 1898 Views
By - jbreger@civitasmedia.com

Cassie Dunham, Samantha Dimas and Judge Farrell Hatch work to shed a new light on the Bryan County Drug Court program.
Cassie Dunham, Samantha Dimas and Judge Farrell Hatch work to shed a new light on the Bryan County Drug Court program.
Story Tools:

Font Size:

Social Media:

The Bryan County Drug Court has a new coordinator and she is making plans.

Coordinator Samantha Dimas said she wants the Bryan County Drug Court to be seen in a positive light.

Dimas said the people in the program are often shunned and have trouble finding work due to their pasts, but they are fighting to make a better future.

“They are fighting for their lives,” said Dimas.

Dimas said although she has never struggled with drug addiction herself, she has seen others struggle and she tries to relate to those in the program.

She said she can see a difference in person as a whole between the time the person enters the program and the time the individual graduates.

The program takes those with drug-related felonies and helps them become productive members of society rather than having them sit in jail.

The program has an approximate 70 percent success rate with the other 30 percent being sent to the Department of Corrections, according to the drug court.

Dimas said she will be using the month of May to help the community see the Bryan County Drug Court in a new light.

The month of May is “Drug Court Month” for the City of Durant per a proclamation signed on May 3, 2012, by Durant City Mayor, Jerry Tomlinson.

In a press release, Dimas said, “This is a very important month for Bryan County Drug Court as we can showcase all the positive things that drug court has brought and is continuing to bring to our community.”

During the month of May, Dimas has set up several events to let drug court participant interact with the community.

As a confidential program, no drug court participant is made to attend these events, but Dimas said several want to.

Events begin on May 3 with the Bryan County Drug Court Trash-Off Day. May 10, there will be a free community car wash in front of the Bryan County Courthouse from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.

On May 17, a community resource/job fair day will be held at Southeastern from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Events will end on May 31 with a community treasure hunt. Sign-up for the treasure hunt will begin April 28.

Dimas said she encourages the community to come to the events and meet the people in the program.

- Jessica Breger can be reached at (580) 924-4388 ext. 116 or on Twitter @jbreger_news

All user comments are subject to our Terms of Service. Users may flag inappropriate comments.
comments powered by Disqus

Featured Businesses


Info Minute

Gas Prices

Durant Gas Prices provided by GasBuddy.com