A vehicle caught fire at the National Guard Armory, according to the Durant Fire Department.
Firefighters responded Wednesday to the armory at 99 Waldron Road and when they arrived, there was smoke coming from the vehicle and several military personnel standing around it.
According to the DFD report, they had extinguished the fire with fire extinguishers. Durant firefighters sprayed water on it to cool it down. The area that burned was wiring around a fuel cap and the wires appeared to be connected to an air conditioner.
National guard personnel told firefighters the vehicle caught fire when they started it during a morning operational check.
Area firefighters also responded to a house fire at Willafa Woods in Cartwright. That home was a total loss.
Durant firefighters also responded to the following fires recently:
– There was a Dumpster fire behind Long John Silver’s. The fire was almost put out by employees when firefighters arrived.
– Five acres of pasture burned at 902 Hillcrest Ave. before firefighters put out the fire. It was unknown where it started.
– Firefighters responded to a fire in a backyard at 500 S. 14th Ave. The occupant said he was unaware of needing a burn permit and the fire was put out.
From Durant Fire Department reports.