The Durant Fire Department put out a fire Sunday at a vacant home and then went back to the house the next day when the fire rekindled, according to DFD reports.
Firefighters were dispatched at 11:34 p.m. to 148 Cubley Road and when they arrived, they discovered a burning mattress on a floor inside the house.
The fire was put out and contained to the mattress, according to a department report, and the fire did not appear to be suspicious other than it appeared a vagrant had entered the house. Neighbors told firefighters they had noticed the door had been opened several times, but never saw anyone go in our out. Firefighters found several empty alcoholic-beverage bottles
Firefighters were dispatched to the home again at 10:04 Monday morning when the fire reignited.
According to a department report, the fire burned an interior and exterior wall on the front room of the house. Firefighters removed a smoldering mattress and put it in the front yard.
They remained on the scene for approximately an hour to extinguish “hot spots.”
Don Losawyer owns the house, according to a department report.