Calera Council met Tuesday for its regular meeting to discuss a number of agenda items.
Police Chief Don Hyde presented his monthly report and he said the number of automobile accidents is about the same as it was last year, and that there were no major accidents in Calera over the holiday weekend.
Hyde spoke about two recent drug arrests. A marijuana arrest led to the seizure of $12,000 cash and also, one-half pound of pot was discovered during a traffic stop.
Police responded to the following incidents last month: DUI, four; public intoxication, one; driving under suspension, one, attempting to elude, one; reckless driving, one; warrants, five; possession of drug paraphernalia, four; possession of marijuana, two; possession of methamphetamine, four; possession of pills, one; domestic assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, one; larceny, one; transporting open container, three; unattended death, one; rape, one; verbal domestic, one; vandalism, one; burglary, one, and stolen vehicle, one.
Calera Fire-Rescue had 22 calls for service in June. These were 14 medical calls, three automobile accidents, one hazardous materials call and four wild-land fires.
The council discussed the following agenda items:
- Voted to apply for a REAP grant for fire hydrants and valves
- Voted to purchase a $5,500 van for emergency management
- Tabled action on obtaining Ipads for board members for use during council meetings so the town can use less paper
- Voted to change the yield signs to stop signs at First and Bryan and First and Section Line roads
- Voted to place stop signs at D and Wilson streets and D and McKennon streets for the purpose of stopping traffic on D Street
- Voted to send a letter to Bill Iker to have the city’s easement cleared of cars and trees
- Approved moving a stop sign on Section Line Road and Paula Street to southbound on Paula Street
- Officials will be speaking with Blackboard Connect on whether to continue the service which ends July 11 unless a contract is reinstated
Contact Matt Swearengin at 924-4388 or DDDEditor@Twitter.com