A cigarette may have sparked a porch fire on Tuesday, according to the Durant Fire Department.
Firefighters were dispatched at 12:58 p.m. about a back porch on fire at a 109 Cherry Lane residence. When firefighters arrived, the occupant, Foy White, had used a water hose to contain the fire to the porch, according to a fire department report.
Firefighters finished putting out the fire and mopped up “hot spots.”
White told firefighters she had been smoking on the back porch just before the fire and that she had put the cigarette out in a planter pot as she usually does. The fire was contained to the porch area and damage was minimal, according to the fire department.