Area emergency personnel have responded to several calls during the past few days, including a house fire on Sunday and a possible train/pedestrian accident on Monday.
The Durant Fire Department was dispatched at 7:43 a.m. Sunday to a house at 89 Highland Drive. When firefighters arrived several minutes later, the owner had put the fire out with a garden hose, according to a department report, and it started in the garage due to discarded smoking materials.
The fire burned a hole inside the garage and through the dining room that adjoined it. The garage sustained significant smoke damage, and firefighters used a fan to remove the smoke from the house. They left the scene at 8:12 that morning.
In other accidents, Durant Police and Bryan County EMS responded to a possible train/pedestrian accident at 8:34 a.m. Monday on the railroad tracks near Choctaw Road.
A woman was sitting on the tracks, according to police, and as the train approached, she stood up and started walking on the edge of the tracks toward the train. The conductor could not see her because she was so close to the train, so he stopped it and called police who found the woman at South Ninth and Big Lots Road.
Durant Police Public Information Officer Drew Hale said the woman, who had a broken arm and a laceration to the head, denied she was hit by the train, and said the injuries were from an old accident. She was taken to the hospital.
In other incidents, firefighters were dispatched at 5:31 p.m. Sunday to a grass fire in the 2600 block of Chuckwa Street. According to a department report, a fire pit had been left unattended and it started a grass fire that burned a small area.
Firefighters responded at 10:20 p.m Friday to the 3600 block of West Arkansas Street where a transformer had blown and a power line was down. According to the fire department, a vehicle hit the utility pole. No one was in the vehicle when firefighters arrived.
One lane of Highway 70 on the east end of the Roosevelt Bridge was shut down at 6:15 p.m. Sunday evening for the repair of a fiber optic cable, according to the Oklahoma Highway Patrol. The Lakewood Fire Department assisted with traffic control and the road reopened an hour and 45 minutes later.