Smoldering towels ignited by a cigarette smoked up a Durant home, according to the Durant Fire Department.
Firefighters were dispatched at 11:55 a.m. Tuesday to 5303 Roadrunner Drive and when they arrived two minutes later, the house was full of smoke. Upon entry, firefighters found towels that were smoldering next to a couch in the living room.
Also, there was an ash tray on the couch and a cigarette butt on the floor near the burned area. The owner, who was not home at the time, told firefighters that her dog often gets on the couch and into things. The owner, identified in the report as Charlotte Stephens, said she had been smoking on the couch before leaving the home.
Firefighters used fans to clear the home of smoke.
In other news there was a bomb scare late Wednesday morning on Highway 69/75 near the Red River Bridge after someone found a suspicious-looking device, that according to the Bryan County Sheriff’s Office, turned out to be a tracking device. A man taking pictures in the area found it near the railroad bridge and he contacted authorities.