A fire at a storage unit at 101 E. Main St. caused significant damage to the building Thursday night.
A caller reported smoke in the area of SE First and Main streets around 10:18 p.m. Upon arrival, Durant firefighters reported heavy smoke coming from the southeast corner of the multi-unit storage building.
Several DFD units responded to the scene, and firefighters used “tools to pry locks and open the doors of the storage units,” according to a fire department report. Four of the units received heavy fire damage, and all the units received smoke damage.
Crews spent more than two hours at the scene extinguishing the blaze, and the cause has yet to be determined.
In a separate incident, a portion of Highway 70 was closed east of Durant on Thursday evening after a reported ammonia leak at Potters Sausage.
Shortly after 7 p.m., Durant firefighters responded to the leak and found “a cloud coming over the building.” Employees told DFD personnel that the building was empty.
Maintenance personnel arrived and were able to fix the problem, which was a compressor shut-down causing a “pop off valve” to release the ammonia. DFD spent two and a half hours on the scene performing “hazardous materials leak control and containment,” according to a report.