Durant firefighters were sent to the complex, located at 3802 University, at 12:38 p.m. When they arrived, the fire had already been extinguished and it was contained to the second-floor balcony, according to a department report.
The fire started in a container that held discarded cigarettes. The container melted and an exterior wall received minor smoke damage, estimated at $500.
In other fire calls, firefighters responded at 1:45 p.m. to a fire at 411 N.E. Fifth Ave. When they arrived, they found a person burning copper wire. The report stated that the person did not have a burn permit and was told to obtain one in the future.