Durant firefighters put out several grass fires Wednesday evening, some of which were caused by fireworks.
Firefighters were dispatched at 9:33 p.m. to a field north of the Choctaw Event Center to put out a grass fire that ignited from the remains of fireworks. A 30 by 30 foot area burned in one place, and in another spot, a 15 by 15 foot area was scorched. Firefighters left the scene at 9:42.
Also at 9:33 p.m., firefighters responded to a small grass fire at 306 S. 22nd Ave., south of Bryan County EMS. According to a fire department report, that fire was also started by fireworks and it scorched a 30 by 30 feet area. Firefighters cleared the scene at 9:47.
Firefighters responded to another fire at 11:16 p.m. on West Mockingbird Lane. That fire was in a ditch and it scorched an 8 by 30 foot area before being snuffed out by firefighters. A cause of that fire was not disclosed, and firefighters left the scene at 11:29.
One minute later, firefighters were called to a small grass fire on Sunnyside Road that burned a 2 by 20 foot area. Firefighters spent four minutes putting out that fire.
at 11:44 p.m., firefighters responded to a grass fire at 2917 Big Lots Parkway. That fire scorched a 30 by 150 foot area before being hosed down by firefighters. The caused of these fires were not revealed.