On Thursday, the first official day of school starts for Durant Public Schools.
The Durant Police Department would like to remind the citizens of Durant to be careful and watch out for children. Police will be patrolling the school zones to ensure the safety for all and to enforce all traffic laws. Here are some tips that will help you during your commute to school and work:
- Slow down and be alert in neighborhoods and school zones.
- Enter and exit driveways and alleys slowly and carefully.
- Watch for children on and near the road in the morning and after school hours.
- Obey local laws about stopping for school buses.
- Reduce distractions inside your car so you can concentrate on your driving.
- Put down the phone; don’t talk or text while driving.
- Teach your children safety rules about walking, bicycling and taking the bus.
- Give yourself plenty of time to get to your destination.