On Thursday morning at approximately 9 a.m., Colbert Schools evacuated students when smoke was detected.
When the fire department was called to the school there was no fire. Some electrical wires in the wall had overheated and began to smoke.
Superintendent Jarvis Dobbs said that he wasn’t sure if any flames ignited but the area was sprayed with a fire extinguisher by school maintenance.
Students were evacuated but classes soon resumed in an alternate building while the issue was being taken care of.Dobbs said it turned out to be a good fire drill for the student that went very smoothly but nothing more.
According to Dobbs, the issue occurred because of a short in the wiring outside of the building.
Central Electric was called to inspect and fix the issue.
“They had us back up and running by noon” said Dobbs.
In other fires, Durant firefighters responded to a burn ban violation at 8:13 p.m. Thursday in the 2400 block of Sleepy Hollow Drive. When firefighters arrived, the fire was being put out and the people who started it told firefighters they did not know the state is still under a burn ban.