(ARA) - As summer subsides, people may lose sight of their weight loss goals until the start of the New Year. And the temptation of unhealthy holiday treats right around the corner may make it even more difficult to stay on track. But the fall can serve as the perfect time to commit to fighting fat with a healthier approach to eating and being active.
“With over two-thirds of U.S. adults overweight or obese, this is creating a staggering burden of disease,” says Dr. Caroline Apovian, director of the Nutrition and Weight Management Center and co-director of the Nutrition and Metabolic Support Service at Boston University Medical Center. “It’s important for people to understand that reaching a healthy weight through safe, moderate weight-loss (5 to 10 percent) is a critical step toward reducing the risks associated with obesity.”
For many people, alli – the only FDA approved over-the-counter weight-loss aid – can help achieve this goal. Alli is clinically proven to help people lose 50 percent more weight than they would with diet alone. So, for every two pounds you’d lose through diet and exercise, alli helps you lose one more.
Apovian shares even more tips to help you fight unhealthy fat through fall and beyond:
* Know your nemesis. Become more conscious of the foods, amount of fat you eat, and how it affects your body.
* Stay committed. It’s not always easy to stay on track with weight loss – remind yourself as necessary (weekly, even daily) of your healthy motivation to fight fat.
* Try something new. There are plenty of seasonal healthy foods that not only taste good but are good for you. A low fat snack could be a baked apple with cinnamon or pumpkin soup.
* Build a support system. Online or in-person support groups, as well as encouragement from family and friends, can make all the difference in the world.
* Find tools. Visit www.myalli.com for more information on how alli can help you safely and effectively boost your weight loss success.
Dr. Apovian is a paid spokesperson for alli, but her opinions are her own.
*Alli is a weight loss aid for overweight adults, 18 years and older. Alli is taken with a reduced calorie low-fat diet.
**Results may vary. In clinical studies, alli users lost 5-10 pounds over six months.