The Durant Fire Department responded to a vehicle fire Saturday morning. Reports state that a Ford truck caught fire on South 6th avenue.
The truck had a gas powered air compressor in the utility bed of the truck. This compressor was found to be the source of the fire.
The truck’s owner told responders that they were trying to start the compressor. They had the breather off of the carburetor and were putting gas into the carburetor.
They were attempting to start the compressor when a spark from the starter solenoid ignited the fire.
According to reports, the owner had attempted to extinguish the fire himself using a water hose. He sustained extensive burns and was transported to MSCO for treatment.