Carl Newton Keener grew up on a farm in Johston County, but at an early age he chose his own career path and became a grocer. He opened his first store in 1913 and there are ads in the Johnston newspaper for the “Keener Cash Grocery” through 1917. In 1922 he filed for bankruptcy, but soon was back in business after selling the grocery to C.P. Swinney, while he retained the meat market. In 1925 he advertised a “new Brecht refrigeration system.” In 1925 he also built a garage and filling station at a separate location. And he built a new house for his growing family. But in 1928 the Johnston County Capital Democrat announced that the Keeners had purchased a grocery and market in Durant, and were moving.
In Durant, Carl partnered with Johnnie Gravitt in the Durant Grocery and Market. Johnnie managed the grocery business and Carl took charge of the “government inspected” meats. And by 1928 Carl was grooming his two young sons, Otis Richard and Charles Newton, and daughter Elizabeth, to eventually join him in business.
In 1933 the Keeners purchased the L. R. Trout Grocery at 130 West Main Street and renamed it the “Keener Cash Grocery.” Cash groceries were becoming more popular as customers enjoyed discounts for not running up a monthly credit tab. 1933 was also the year that a competitor, Piggly Wiggly, opened in Durant.
In 1937 the newspaper offered congratulations to C. N. Keener, Otis Keener, “Lizzie Beth” Keener, Guy McIntire, LeRoy Hay, and Lonnie Dillard on their 9th anniversary in the grocery business.
An ad in the Durant Daily Democrat in 1938 announced the purchase of the White House Grocery by Mr. and Mrs. C. N. Keener, and Mr. and Mrs. Otis Keener. Otis managed the store, assisted by Mrs. Keener. Albert Wolf managed the meat market. Jake Hopkins and Harold Thompson were also employees. Newton Keener joined them in 1940, but was called into service in 1943. He was stationed in New Mexico until 1946. When he returned to the family business, he brought a wife with him and she opened The Furniture Center at the corner of Second and Evergreen. Newton went to work with his brother, and Carl was able to retire.
The White House Grocery and meat market, opened in 1916 by O. H. Currin and George Wiley, was known for “cleanliness and service.” The name came from the fact that it was painted white, inside and out. They offered deliveries, “modern refrigeration”, and excellent service. They carried specialty items, such as “Kamp Kits” (boxes of cake or cookie samples for soldiers) during the war years, and often had demonstrations of electric appliances and other conveniences. The Keeners carried on their best traditions and created some of their own.
The Keener family didn’t devote all of their time to their multiple stores. Their names were often listed on community projects, on the rosters of service clubs, and among the guests at society events. Otis was the Scout Master of Troop 115 in 1942.
In 1942 Otis and his wife added to their businesses by purchasing Caldwell’s Grocery and Market, next door to their White House Grocery.
In the spring of 1955 Otis and Newton Keener bought Tabor’s Food Store, 402 North 1st Avenue. They planned to continue to operate the White House Grocery at 124 North 3rd as a “service store” and the new store as a “modern cash store.” J. C. Tabor and his son Kohen had been operating it that way. The Tabors had just opened the store in 1954, but because of poor health, J. C. chose to sell it and retire. Otis managed the White House and Newton managed Keener’s Food Store.
An article in the Durant Daily Democrat in June of 1956 gave everyone a glimpse of Keener family life. Otis and Idell had been working side by side in the grocery business for 18 years, but still ate meals at home and Idell did all of the cooking. She did admit to having someone do the laundry and occasionally help with housework. Their son “Dickie” worked “after school and during vacations”.
The Keener brothers closed the White House Grocery in 1959, but their market on 1st Street remained open and they encouraged their customers to shop there. Mark Marble, the butcher at the White House, moved to the other store and joined Bill Broderick behind the meat counter.
Carl Newton Keener died March 8, 1968, and was buried in Highland Cemetery. His wife, Rosa, died in 1980.
Otis and Newton managed Keener’s Super Market (Food Market), 402 1st Street, until the late seventies when Otis sold his interest to Newton and retired. Newton managed alone at first, but missed having time off for his family life. His children didn’t want to join him in the business, so in 1978 he sold the store to Melvin Rodger’s and he, too, retired. He later moved to Arizona where he died in 2002. He was buried in the National Memorial Cemetery of Arizona. His wife, Dorothy, also died in Arizona in 2002.
In 1984 Melvin Rodgers sold his Rodgers Supermarket to Charles Sumner of Tulsa. Melvin had previously worked as a meat cutter for Mr. Sumner. Sumner’s Foods was a part of Durant life until 1998 when it was sold to Randy Sullivan, the owner of Green Spray Market just down the street. Mr. Sullivan sold the stock and the building went on to serve other purposes.
Otis Keener died February 11, 2000 and was buried in Highland. His wife, Idell, died in 2002.
The Keener family dedicated their lives to serving Durant and they seemed to do that quite well.